I am often asked how to style ruffles and look sophisticated . You do not want to look too frilly and overdone , at any age. You want to look polished and taken seriously at work, and yet still be able to ROCK THIS RUFFLE TREND. My dear readers, you know my preliminary answer. It is all in the Mix!
BELOW I SHOW AND DO NOT TELL!
Style Advice: How to Style Ruffles :
- First off, when styling an outfit with bows and ruffles , go easy on the pastel, especially if it is a dress. Above, my dress has ruffles and my sleeves end with two sashes tied into a bow.
- Note I am wearing a menswear plaid, the perfect antidote to sweet ruffles.
- Choose accessories carefully. Now may not be the time to add a floral bag or shoes. Think gingham check, plaids, deep colors in bold hues.
- Add something geometric. My Badgley Mischka bag is simple and has a structured geometric pattern that counters nicely with the bow details and ruffled skirt.
- If you choose a hat on a sunny day, choose one without floral embellishments. Mine is very plain and I would advise something similar. Those new to this notion of how to style ruffles, should aim to avoid “over the top” girly. Balance sweet with bold and serious .
- Add studs too, if it is jacket weather, add a studded Moto jacket, or studded booties year round. Add biker chic to ruffles and create some nuanced style.
Below, Be careful of the wind! My smile is tentative here as the wind was intermittent ! A longer dress would have been better choice given the strong breeze, , which by the way, was NOT in the weather forecast!
Walk the Walk. Stand tall and wear simple earrings. Statement earrings could work if the vibe is architectural, but it is best to stay with simple , and NO necklace for a dress that has this much detail.
Got ruffles? Keep the rest of the feminine touches at a minimum!
YOU KNOW MY STYLE IS EXUBERANT AND ECLECTIC, SO IT IS RARE WHEN I SUGGEST TO TONE THINGS DOWN. BUT IT DOES HAPPEN; A SIMILAR STYLE DILEMMA IS HERE WHEN I FEATURED A BABYDOLL DRESS.
WINDY DAYS ARE FREQUENT ! RAINY DAYS, TOO, SO BOTH OF THESE THINGS COULD BE CONSIDERED WHEN CHOOSING AN OUTFIT. HERE THE BREEZE IS JUST RIGHT. I AM CHECKING THAT I HAVE MY SPF LIPSTICK , MAYBE NOT MY FINEST POSE EVER!
UP CLOSE: THE ACCESSORIES !
Would you care to go back in time a bit and see how I styled a ruffled skirt? SO glad you said yes!
Crisp stripes play down the frill factor of the ruffles below.
The BOLD stripes do their job here! See ?
Another fun look at a windy day ensemble is here. I balance a big feminine bow at my neck with a plaid skirt and other details. Ruffles and bold accessories- Got it? Yes I think you do.
So these are my recommendations for how to style ruffles and look every inch the sophisticate that you are!
So dear readers, I must ask. How do you style ruffles or do your shun them completely. Let me know. I so value your input !
Postscript: This dress felt a bit too short in the wind, and since I can not control the weather, have since given it to a friend who is shorter than I and it hits just at the knee! She looks fabulous in it!