Hello loves! With the holiday weekend fresh on my mind, I thought I would give you some tips on wearing a tunic dress after fifty. First a photo.
DID YOU BRING YOUR SENSE OF HUMOUR??
- MANY TUNICS ARE MADE FOR RESORT WEAR. THUS, THEY ARE SHEER. SOME CHOOSE TO WEAR A BATHING SUIT UNDER THEM AND THAT IS A GREAT LOOK FOR A BEACH DESTINATION OR POOLSIDE. BUT IF THAT IS NOT YOUR STYLE OR NO LONGER YOUR STYLE, LAYER A SLIP DRESS UNDERNEATH! YOU CAN WEAR THIS LOOK AND FEEL MORE COVERED UP.
- CONSIDER LENGTH. IF IT IS KNEE LENGTH AND SOMEWHAT OPAQUE, THEN YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.
- IF IT IS A BIT SHORT, LAYER A TUNIC OVER DENIM JEANS OR SHORTS. THE DENIM CAN BE BLACK, BLUE, OR WHITE. THIS LOOKS GREAT WITH EMBROIDERED JEANS, AS WELL!
- CONSIDER YOUR BODY STYLE AND PROPORTIONS WHEN LAYERING. EXPERIMENT WITH OPTIONS, YOU MIGHT FIND A TUNIC LOOKS BEST OVER FULL-LENGTH FLARES FOR INSTANCE, OR SHORT SHORTS, DEPENDING ON YOUR BODY AND YOUR TASTE.
To style a tunic consider these tips:
- Choose a solid under a pattern, or a complementary pattern as I did in the above photos.
- If you have lace trimmed slip dress, that would enhance the look by adding lace which is trending now. The lace slip dress would look as though it’s part of the design. I have a black silk slip dress that looks great with this. I am sorry I do not have the photo for you. It is easy to imagine, however.
- Add a textured bag, like straw or one with beads or embroidery, to add interest to the outfit. The pop pom straw tote is having a moment, you can consider that too. Have fun with the mix- it is summer. Mix it up!
- Add a fun sandal, espadrilles and pom-pom trimmed sandals are trending, and are fun to wear. You can also do A DIY project by adding pom pom trim to your own sandals.
- Wear ocean colors on your fingernails and toes, or coral!
I had fun wearing this hand embellished clutch. The stones are semiprecious and add such a great texture to this outfit. I am happy I found it at LVIS for $12.00 and this is also where I came across this tunic!
DO CONSIDER JEWELRY AS PART OF THIS LOOK!
- POM-POM NECKLACES AND FUN TRIBAL LOOKS ARE CUTE TO WEAR WITH TUNICS, I WILL DO A SEPARATE POST ON THIS. I CHOOSE A TANZANITE RING BECAUSE OF THE SEA BLUE COLOR. SO SUMMERY.
- TURQUOISE IS ALSO A GREAT SUMMER STONE, AS IS AQUAMARINE!
- LAYERING THE NECKLACES IS A FUN SUMMER TWIST, BUT IF YOUR NECKLACE IS CHUNKY, JUST WEAR ONE.
I wore this chunky necklace that I made years ago, from some tumbled agate beads, flashes of labradorite briolettes and a piece of a broken earring that had some diamonds in it. Don’t give up on broken pieces!
I had so much fun with this photo shoot! Melanie from the Bag and A Beret blog commented on my Instagram account: Best heels ever! She is referring to my stools that I , on impulse, decided to be perched upon! I laughed and laughed, as I often do when reading her posts and comments. 🙂 🙂 🙂
Ah, what I won’t wear to be tall!
If you are looking for a tunic for beach parties, poolside, or just to wear about town, check out your local shops, and try to buy from small businesses. Also, if you are inclined, scour the thrift stores or the consignments shops many tunics are inexpensive because of the sheerness, but now we see how easy it is to address that. Do not forget eBay, Tradesy or Poshmark, too.
If you are fit, at any age, you can wear a sheer tunic over a bathing suit!
My tunic may have hailed from Calypso St.Barth, a fabulous resort wear chain of stores, that is having a good 50% off sale at the moment! Check it out here. I also love Debbie Katz for this kind of look, but all of the tunics I looked at were sold out! I do also like this from Lilly Pulitzer .
Do you wear tunics? How do you style them? Do you prefer shorter tunics, of longer tunics? LMK- you know how! Enjoy your week!